Saturday, October 23, 2010

Buongiorno Mio Amici

Part of the original Appian Way - this is between the Brothers' residence and the chapel.

Bernini Bridge

Students in front of Bernini Bridge

Happy Birthday Jaclyn C.!

Archangel Michael in the Castel Sant'Angelo (Castle of the Holy Angel)

Military artifacts in Castel Sant' Angelo

View of the Tiber River from Castel Sant' Angelo

Bernini Bridge

Military Barracks in the Castel Sant' Angelo

Fruit from the grounds, on the left is the Chapel

A full moon over Castel Gandolfo
Today makes one full week in Italy. It has gone by so fast. We have had nice, comfortable weather, but the clouds are moving in this morning and the forecast is rain for the next several days. But as I sit at my desk catching you up on our experiences, I can see the sun peaking through the clouds.



Wednesday, October 20: Got to sleep in a little today – we all needed it as we have been on the go since Saturday morning. Went to Albano at 9:00 a.m. to register with the local police (required of all internationals) – and of course while there had an espresso at Al Duomo Caffe.
When we returned to “campus” I spent the day helping my twelve students set up their blogs (have you checked them out yet?) At 7:00 p.m. we had mass in the chapel (originally a stable – such a history – set on the original Appian Way!) here at Casa Mennesiana with Father Paul ( with the Jesuits of the Vatican in Castel Gandolfo). At dinner he told us about his work in Arizona where he is trying to develop a way to distinguish planets from stars in space! After dinner we had a surprise birthday party for Jacyln. Her cake was made by Roberto (owner of the Al Duoma Caffe in Albano), pastry chef to the Pope. It was delicious.

Thursday, October 21: We had our first HIST 375 Americans in Rome class. We discussed the preface and introduction to Guadium et Spes (this is a “heritage three” class) and then another reading that explains how “travelers” and “tourists” are historical concepts. So today I asked the students to experience Rome as 21st century American tourists (the rest of the semester they will be learning about American travelers from 1848-1960). We then went to Rome (and, I know it is sounding like a broken record, but a stop for espresso!) and had pizza for lunch not far from the Vatican. In the afternoon we had a guided tour of the Castle San’ Angelo. Our tour guide Gracie was eccellente! Walking through the Popes’ personal apartments is an indescribable experience. The Bernini Bridge was absolutely beautiful! But my favorites were the military barracks and weaponry (I admit I am biased). Tonight most of the students made their way back to Castel Gandolfo on their own – I am so proud of them. I still have not mastered that! We shared another delicious dinner together – and then for the first night since we have been here I made it to bed before 11:00 p.m.

Friday, October 22: I went for a walk after breakfast. The grounds here at Casa Mennesiana are breathtaking – I feel like I am in a movie. I took Brother Ernest’s advice and explored the fruit groves here. There are kiwis, grapes, and cachi to name just a few. I worked for a few hours and then walked to an Italian grocery store with students Alyssa, Sarah, and Nick S. I will never take my Giant Eagle for granted again, although we found pretty much everything we needed. And they did a pretty good job of navigating! After paying some bills and balancing my checkbook (remember we are here for 8 weeks - thank goodness for internet bill pay) my student Megan and I took the bus to Albano to discuss her paper on Roman architecture. We had cappuccino and a pastry at Al Duomo. Then she helped me shop for dinner. I was amazed at how well she spoke Italian with the clerks as I fumbled along with only 5 days of learning the language. As a matter of fact, at one point a clerk asked Megan what languages we spoke. Megan explained that she spoke Spanish and Italian, but that I was an “Americano” as they both rolled their eyes! I barely made it out of the store before bursting out in laughter. She is a great example of how quickly and successfully some of our students adapt to the surroundings. The train ride had us back to campus in less than 10 minutes, in time to see the full moon over Rome. The other night some of us watched the sunset over the Tyrrhenian Sea (you can see the sea from our rooftop balcony). I have seen the sunset over the Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, and the Bering Sea - but this is the most beautiful! This is the best job in the world! But I may have to go up on the roof to remember that later today, as I get back to reality and start grading this weekend. Or maybe I will go to Castel Gandolfo and sip caffe Americano as I mark papers? Until next time, buongiorno mio amici!

4 comments:

  1. I loved this post. I am a tad bit jealous because the castel santangelo was always closed when we wanted to visit. Students do adapted very fast there. It is so amazing to here that you are experiencing the same type of love I felt about rome.-Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma - I just saw your blogpost with a picture of the sunset (I tried to "comment" but somehow messed up!) - so beautiful!!! As a historian, Rome is a dream come true, and I don't even study the early periods! Danilo's willingness to share his knowledge really makes this a unique opportunity, for both education and as a tourist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodday to you Kelly,

    I am truly enjoying hearing all that is taking place on your teaching trip. I must say though that I am a bit jealous...being a public historian and not being able to experience the sites, sounds and tastes first hand. Continue to enjoy and have one of those expressos for me...from one coffee lover to another.

    Take care and may all of you stay well and blessed.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for these updates Dr. Selby!

    ReplyDelete